Frans,

I tend to agree with you. LTE is a pretty awesome standard when you step back
and look at just what it can do. However, a few crucial differences between it
and 802.11:

  1.  ​LTE typically uses an order of magnitude higher or more transmit power.
My smartphone can blast out a 2W (!!!) signal on T-Mobile's 2700MHz band. This,
obviously, affects SNR substantially.
  2.  LTE has always been deployed in licensed radio bands meaning that any
interference is effectively zero.
  3.  LTE, while employing OFDM like 802.11, usually uses TDMA rather than
CSMA/CA

My point in this is that LTE was designed for an ideal environment where
same-band interference is low/nonexistent, SNRs are higher, and the tower
controls who talks and when. It IS a far more spectrally efficient standard but
only when you give it ideal working conditions.

At 100mW of output power and dealing with 802.11 and other interference, I'd be
interested to see how it fairs.

Thank you!

-Matthew Hinson​

Network Operations Supervisor