We disabled 80211b rates a few years ago.  If someone's device needs to
join wireless, we have them purchase a wireless or wired dongle.  We
keep a few in stock too for those who need proof that this is a viable
solution.

In terms of g & a, we are only seeing a handful this term.  We are
hoping to turn off those within a year.   But, as each term brings a new
set of devices, that could change.  We turned on r/k in Spring and had
few issues.  Then a different group arrive in September.  As too many
devices couldn't connect, we had to disable r.

Regards,
Christina

On 11/05/2015 07:47 AM, Osborne, Bruce W (Network Services) wrote:
> I wish we could turn down 802.11b.
>
> We strongly recommend 802.11ac compatibility, but since we have residences
> with game consoles (Xbox 360) & some clueless TVs (Vizio) we needed to turn
> on 1 & 2 mbps so those devices would associate to our mac-auth SSID for
> non-802.1X devices.
>

> Bruce Osborne
> Wireless Engineer
> IT Infrastructure & Media Solutions
>
> (434) 592-4229
>
> LIBERTY UNIVERSITY
> Training Champions for Christ since 1971

Christina Klam
Network Engineer
Institute for Advanced Study
Email:  ck...@ias.edu

Einstein Drive          Telephone: 609-734-8154
Princeton, NJ 08540     Fax:  609-951-4418