From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Eriks Rugelis
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 9:12 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] WLAN planning strategy for new buildings?

I would like to hear opinions from this community about how to approach WLAN
planning for new construction projects.   We are in the midst of a constructing
a series of new buildings and I am not pleased with the early results.

1. Do you take a stab at a best-guess predictive survey from construction
drawings (AutoCAD) and then do post-build survey and adjustments?   (Can result
in sub-optimal initial deployment requiring re-work.   How do you estimate the
re-work cost?)

2. Do you wait until the new building is standing to create a post-build survey
and deployment?  (Can be costly in terms of implementation budget as well as
elapsed time to running service.)

FWIW, we have several years of internal experience with Ekahau Site Survey for
predictive surveys.   However, our ESS-literate staff resources are spread very
thin.   So far, we have had trouble identifying competent contractors to hire
for creation predictive surveys on our behalf.   It seems most of them do not
understand high-density client workloads such as are found in typical
university buildings.   Worse, some do not really understand Wi-Fi at all.

3. If you use ESS:
        a) Can you describe your experience with making use of its auto-import
feature for reading AutoCAD files?
        b) Can you describe your experience/success with obtaining AutoCAD
models (from your facilities dept.) which classify building materials into
unique layers to ease auto-import by ESS?

The latest Big Think in the construction industry is BIM (Building Information
Modeling.)   Our Facilities Development department has adopted AutoDesk's Revit
tool for creating/managing BIM for new buildings.   While Revit has an export
function to create AutoCAD .dwg files, there is a terrifying degree of
flexibility in how this export can be done.

4. Do you have any experience in creating AutoCAD exports from Revit BIM which
are suitable for import by Ekahau Site Survey?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Eriks

"In God we trust; all others must bring data." - attributed to W. Edwards Deming
---
Eriks Rugelis | Manager, Network Development | University Information Technology
010 Steacie Science and Engineering Library | York University | 4700 Keele St.
, Toronto ON Canada M3J 1P3
T: +1.416.736.5756 | F: +1.416.736.5830 | er...@yorku.ca<mailto:er...@yorku.ca>
| www.yorku.ca<http://www.yorku.ca/>

York UIT will NEVER send unsolicited requests for passwords or other personal
information via email. Messages requesting such information are fraudulent and
should be deleted.<http://www.yorku.ca/> ********** Participation and
subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list
can be found at http://www.educause.edu/groups/.