Hello,

I am curious about what people are doing for their Guest captive portals.  In
my case, It's been a
bit of a battle to combine usability and security.  For example, if I try to
keep a session
completely captive before guiding the user through the onboarding process that
means disabling
WISPr or "web-auth captive-bypass" in Cisco WLC terms so that a user can get to
the play store
during onboarding.

Of course, disabling this makes it so that the client browser does not
automatically pop-up to
notify the user to accept an AUP or complete the onboarding process, etc.
Since the browser does
not pop-up and auto-re-direct that means a user must 1) open a browser, and 2)
type on non-https
address in order for the web-redirect to work.  I think too many users have an
https website for
their homepage ie. https://www.google.com so this means they never get to the
re-driect page
unless they understand to type a non-https URL.

So, I am playing with a scenario right now that uses WISPr first, then
re-directs to the
onboarding process.  This works rather nicely for iOS, OSX, and Windows, but
Android and ChromeOS
want to shut down the WISPr browser after my re-direct. :(

Just curious:

Does your captive portal offer WISPr?  If so, how are you allowing devices to
the Play Store?

If no WISPr, have you found some other way to make https re-directs work for
users?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Curtis