From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of Robert Harris
<r_har...@culinary.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 9:10 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] [NETMAN] Top P2P apps as classified by shapers?

We're using Exinda appliances on our campuses, and we're very happy with them.
We've set up a simple rule set;
1- block all the P2P traffic
2 -ignore this white list
3 -all other traffic gets bandwidth shared evenly
The devices are capable of much more detailed rule sets and features, but this
is what works best for us.

The p2p classifications are all done by them and built into the application
group, we only have to watch and make sure it's catching everything (very
reliable).

I can't give a ranking, once traffic is getting discarded, it isn't quantified
anymore.

[The Culinary Institute of America]
Robert Harris
Manager of Network Services
Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY
845-451-1681
www.ciachef.edu<http://www.ciachef.edu>
Food is Life
Create and Savor Yours.(tm)

>>> Lee H Badman <lhbad...@syr.edu> 7/19/2016 8:29 AM >>>
Apologies for the dual-posting for those who fall into that.

I'm wondering if those schools running Palo Alto boxes and the like might be
willing to share what your appliances are classifying as the top 10-15 P2P apps
seen these days, whether you choose to block/limit them or not? Just want to
sanity check one of our methodologies, and a few outside views would be helpful
if anyone feels like sharing that information.

Regards,

Lee Badman

Lee Badman | Network Architect (CWDP, CWNA, CWSP, Mobility+)
Information Technology Services
206 Machinery Hall
120 Smith Drive
Syracuse, New York 13244