The main problem we have with doing this is getting a second power feed into
the poles. All of our utilities are underground. And, all light poles are
decorative black things without any visible wires (it all comes in
underground). To make it worse, all lights are on a central switch which means
that there is no power to the poles until the lights come on. Thus, the reason
for a separate power feed so wireless could run independently of the lights.
Also, light power typically loops into a pole and then back out to the next
pole in the run, thus filling up the access holes with twice as many wires as
would be desired (by us anyway), and leaving little room to get another power
wire in (and also maybe back out) plus a small fiber cable.

Underground utilities look good but can cause problems with needing additional
wiring added for nice stuff such as you mentioned.

John Watters
Network Engineer, Office of Information Technology
The University of Alabama
A115 Gordon Palmer Hall
Box 870346
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487