From: Michael Blaisdell [mblaisd...@francis.edu]
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU [WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU]
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] In room WIFI - second example

I had posted to the group a few months ago about WAPs in each dorm room.  I
received a number of comments that were very insightful.  Most agreed that
channel plan in the 2.4 would be next to impossible and the best plan would be
to turn off maybe every other radio and turn back the power. As for 5.8 I
believe we agreed that channel width should be a minimum because we are not
going for speed, we are going to coverage.

I am back at the table with another twist.  I have been testing Microtik HAP AC
lite boxes with 4 10/100 ports and both 2.4 and 5.8 radios.  I also have the
box setup as a router for their room.  I think we can call it a DAN.  Dorm Area
Network.  The students in the room share a common DHCP server and have NAT
access to the campus LAN.  This allows the students to add devices in their
rooms as they need to without affecting the network.  The HAP also has two way
firewall config so I can block all the ports and services I would normally but
I can do it at the end point.  I guess the dorms are running like an individual
household and I am the ISP.

Each room has a unique SSID and authentication.

This is just a test in a few locations at this point but it has worked great.

I am looking for feedback like last time.   Please feel free to cut hard and
deep if necessary.  Security issues could be my biggest issues.

Thanks

Michael Blaisdell
Director of Network Services
IT Services
Learning Commons/Library
Saint Francis University
117 Evergreen Drive
Loretto, PA  15940
814-472-3242
http://www.francis.edu
The best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay