I imagine they are happy because they continue to pay for the connection
from the other ISP.

I also imagine they are happy because I stayed in those same dorms in
2010-2012, had a connection from Knology, and ran my own AP. Worked fine
for me. I'm sure there were a bunch of people in Network Services cursing
me... the same ones I work with now. (Maybe they're still cursing me, for
different reasons. Who knows.)