We are currently using a 5GHz only SSID (as well as 2.4) and have been
trying to encourage students to use it. We recently conducted a survey of
wireless performance and asked questions about why people were using 2.4
networks vs. 5GHz. A surprising number of students replied that their
devices could not see the 5GHz SSID.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Hunter Fuller <hf0...@uah.edu> wrote:

> Similarly, we haven't looked at it. You can walk into Best Buy today and
> walk out with a brand new laptop with no 5GHz wireless.
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 12:13 PM Jeffrey D. Sessler <
> j...@scrippscollege.edu> wrote:
>
>> I don’t think there is a way to get away from 2.4 yet in EDU. For
>> example, while most would install high-density 5GHz in every residential
>> room, it’s likely cost-prohibitive to accomplish the same in hallways and
>> other areas that devices transit but don’t linger. As such, 2.4 is still
>> important for “in flight” devices.
>>

>> Jeff
>>

>> *From: *"wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.
>> EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of "Oliver, Jeff" <jeff.oli...@uleth.ca>
>> *Date: *Monday, March 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM
>> *To: *"wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.
>> EDUCAUSE.EDU>
>> *Subject: *[WIRELESS-LAN] 2.4 vs 5
>>

>> Folks, just wondering how many PSI’s have successfully turned off your
>> 2.4 and gone 5GHz only? And how much blowback?
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jeff
>>

>> ---
>>

>> Jeffrey L. Oliver
>>
>> Manager, Network and Telecommunications
>>
>> Information Technology Services
>>
>> The University of Lethbridge
>>
>> 4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1K 3M4
>>

>> Tel:         403.329.5162 <(403)%20329-5162>
>>
>> Mob:     403.315.4461 <(403)%20315-4461>
>>

>> URI:       jeff.oli...@uleth.ca
>>
>> Web:    http://www.uleth.ca/information-technology/

>> Constituent Group discussion list can be found at
>> http://www.educause.edu/discuss.
>> Constituent Group discussion list can be found at
>> http://www.educause.edu/discuss.

> Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/
> discuss.

Casey Feskens <cfesk...@willamette.edu>
Director of Infrastructure Services
Willamette Integrated Technology Services
Willamette University, Salem, OR
Phone:  (503) 370-6950