My understanding was that it worked based on the MM's knowledge of which
APs are neighbors, not based strictly on channels. This may have changed.

For what it's worth, they did a live upgrade during the keynote at
Airheads. From the client's view, it seemed seamless. It's worth noting
that a large auditorium is an ideal location for this, due to a lot of
overlapping coverage. If you have a one-off office with a single AP, there
will be ~2 minute outage when the AP reboots.

Disclaimer: I haven't gotten any road time with 8.x outside of a lab, yet.

--
Jonathan Waldrep
Network Engineer