Wondering if anyone has noticed any new trends in popular wireless devices that
we might expect returning students to want to connect in their residences when
they return?

Not being a gamer, this one was new to me. It apparently streams games on
running on your laptop to your TV over a WiFi connection and also provides
input for controllers. Seems like something that could use up a bit of
bandwidth. The good news is that it appears to support 11ac.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

Pete Morrissey