I would do a cost/benefit/risk assessment. IMHO, some of the claimed benefits
to EAP-TLS over EAP-PEAP may not hold up under objective analysis especially
when you factor in the added cost to implement/maintain vs the actual risk (or
perceived benefit).

Just off the top of my head:
Use of credentials vs certificate per device.

  *   How often have a user’s credentials been harvested because they are
stored for WiFi access?
  *   How often do you disable a single device vs disabling all devices?
  *   With credentials, there is but one tick to disable everything vs having
to manage/disable all certificate-based devices for an individual. How much
staff time is involved in managing each?
  *   What’s the cost for the EAP-TLS management platform per year? Is it
justified i.e. does it enhance the academic mission in any significant way or
just give IT another tool to manage? What is the impact to the end-users i.e.
are they happier on EAP-TLS or consider it an annoyance?
  *   Have you observed in-the-wild exploits of your EAP-PEAP implementation
that would justify the move to EAP-TLS? What’s the cost of mitigation vs
falling back on your cyber liability insurance?
  *   If you are really worried about the link of account credentials (keys to
castle) and WiFi admission, why not issue two accounts to users? One that only
works for WiFi and another for everything else.

We’re a EAP-PEAP shop (for now), and I’m focusing/leaning toward the PPSK-type
solutions. User’s want the Starbucks experience and I’m confounded as to why we
(EDU) (myself included) are hell-bent on making it so difficult, and/or,
insisting on maximum security/safety for the small percentage of time these
devices are connected to our networks.

Jeff