From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of John Rodkey
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2017 6:16 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Wireless Log Sheet Inquiry

We used a google form for this purpose, which plunks the data into a
spreadsheet.  It can be embedded in the email, so the barriers to filling it
out are fairly low.

When we did this, we asked for email, dorm, room, and a link to the results of
a speedtest.net<http://speedtest.net> run, if they could connect, and noting if
they couldn't connect.  From the link we gathered ping, upload, and download
speeds.  We also asked them to go to my.meraki.com<http://my.meraki.com> and
give the access point to which they were connected.

The intent was that any time they were having problems, they could fill out
another survey.  The date-time stamp would help us correlate to events in the
event log.

We have also initiated a proactive program of having student workers check
wireless quality at each of the floors of each building semi-weekly. For that,
we've developed a small python script that pulls the above infomration plus
connection/signal strength and GPS coordinates.  Jury is still out on whether
we will be able to identify issues this way, but initial results are promising.

John

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Johnson, Christopher