All,

I know the subject has been broached on the list a few times before, but I’m
looking for informal opinions/survey about how you are deploying your Radius
EAP certificates for PEAP/TTLS users (non-TLS). We use Cloudpath to onboard
users, but recently went through a difficult renewal period to replace our
expiring certificate. As we had configured all of our clients to “verify the
server certificate” (as you should from a security perspective), we found that
iOS/MacOS and Android clients did not take kindly to a new certificate being
presented. This resulted in quite a few disgruntled users who couldn’t connect
to WiFi as well as a shell-shocked Service Desk. To help prevent this in the
future (and because we are moving to a new Radius infrastructure), what is the
consensus on the following strategies:

Option 1: Using a self-signed/private PKI and a 10 year cert. Onboard with
"verify server certificate" enabled

Option 2: Removing all traces of “verify server certificate” from OnBoard
configuration and use 2-year certs from CAs

Option 3: Use 2-year CA certificates, enable “verify server certificates” and
educate/prepare every two years for connection issues.

Option 4 (probably the best long-term answer): Move to private PKI and EAP-TLS.

Opinions?

Craig Simons
Network Operations Manager

Simon Fraser University | Strand Hall
8888 University Dr., Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6
T: 778.782.8036 | M: 604.649.7977 | www.sfu.ca/itservices
<http://www.sfu.ca/itservices>