All:

Based on design recommendations from Aruba, our 10,000 AP network has been
broken up into a few management domains.  For example, Main Campus has
approximately 5,000 access points, and the controllers and access points share
the same VLAN.

What we have noticed is that if we lose a controller (or shut it down for
maintenance or a move), the access points start ARPing like crazy for the
downed controller.  We can see in excess of 1,000 ARPs a second in the
management VLAN.  This has the negative side effect of causing CPU spikes
across certain models of switches on campus, and we lose management to those
switches.  User traffic doesn't generally seem affected, but SNMP monitoring
ceases.  We are wondering if others have seen this, or designed around
mitigating this.  This is definitely a scaling issue, and we feel as though
Aruba could develop back-off mechanisms from allowing High Availability to
essentially DoS parts of campus with ARP.

Thanks!

Ryan Turner
Manager of Network Operations
ITS Communication Technologies