Another +1 on Aruba. We've also had varying experiences with their support
but they are mostly positive experiences. The two negative experiences I
had with their support went about like this:

   - AP-125's spontaneously crash and reboot due to a memory management bug
   with no workaround. This went on for months while we were already replacing
   our AP-125's anyway because those went end-of-support a while ago, but
   their engineering group took months to release a fix to us.
   - One single CPU in our data path module in our 7240s goes to 100% and
   causes authentication timeouts, increased ping times from our network
   monitor to our APs to the point that the network monitor says they're down,
   and users experience terribly slow connectivity. We saw the issue most when
   people were changing classes and increasing the load on the controller a
   lot with handling all the associations and disassociations, and the
   workaround roughly equated to "split the load between our controllers"
   which just hid the issue, and then when that began to fail us our school
   year ended and we haven't seen the issue since. We expect to see this again
   in the fall if Aruba doesn't release the fix to us over the summer. We've
   had a ticket open with them since October.

Overwhelmingly positive experience I had with their support tho: all APs on
our campus would spontaneously reboot. Turns out this was due to a very
well malformed UDP packet reaching the controller over the GRE tunnel
between controller and AP causing the AP management process on the
controller to hang. Since it was hung, the process stopped responding to
heartbeat requests from the APs, APs would think the controller is down and
reboot. Fix was enable control plane security which enables an IPSec tunnel
between the APs and controller and IPSec packet validation mechanisms
recognized the bad packets causing the bug as bad packets and silently
discarded them which resolved our issue.

Side note for all the Aruba users, I personally recommend enabling cpsec on
your controllers just to avoid this scenario and encrypt your user traffic
on its way to the controller. Doing this will cause all your APs to reboot
to establish tunnels to the controllers. Double check with your SE and/or
Aruba TAC to check if there are any caveats to doing this in your
environment but we've got 1,400 APs and are approaching 10k active users
during the school year and haven't had a problem.

Back to the topic at hand: overall we've found the product itself is very
stable and works well. We also stick with the conservative release branch
because, while that branch doesn't have all the latest features, it's got
all the stability and we're huge fans of stability here. The APs are easy
to set up, reasonably priced, also solidly stable, the feature set you do
have with your chosen release works well, etc. etc.

Matt Freitag
Network Engineer
Information Technology
Michigan Technological University