Hi all,

I read this thread with some trepidation, since we're just finishing up
a rollout of 150 AP515s on 7205s. We chose this platform after a nearly
6 month PoC, because we were hitting a high-impact but low occurrence
and unreproducible bug with our Surface Book 2 fleet when connected to
our Extreme Wireless network. Microsoft was unable to fix this bug (and
it definitely was a client bug, their debug traces showed the Surfaces
dropping BAR packets from the AP), so instead I hope they can fix the
new bug we found the Surfaces have with Aruba APs, which is low-impact
but occurs frequently (several times a minute) and so is highly
reproducible. More on the Surface bugs below, but I had also seen the
Aruba bug where the client loses connectivity for 5 minutes or so, HE
was disabled at the time. It's easiest to spot this in Airwave, there
will be a period of no traffic transferred for the client. We didn't
have any problem reports in the last few weeks of testing though, while
running on 8.5.0.3, so maybe it was fixed? The user group (Maths
teachers) were very good in reporting issues, although not always in a
timely fashion. Our new production install is running 8.5.0.5 but I'll
probably be upgrading to 8.6.0.1 before the teachers get back from
summer holiday.

I will strongly agree with the others in this thread who have posted
that the support of your local partner and vendor TAC and account team
should be high on your consideration. The PoC was a tortured process,
definitely not helped by the fact that the partner's engineers were in
another state, and the local Aruba SE had just left, and a new one
wasn't hired until October or so. I've also found Aruba TAC to be not
great in my brief experience with them, certainly not compared to
Extreme GTAC where I have on several occasions dealt directly with a
developer, including one instance where we bisected code one evening to
identify what change caused 2.4GHz to not work on AP3825s. The Aruba SE
from another state did visit and let me know we should have set
ReversePathFwdCheckPromisc on the ESXi host, as we were seeing
connectivity problems that were DHCP related, and that was the fix. It
is documented, but only in the appendix of the install guide
https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_85_Web_Help/Content/install-guide/virt-appl/appendix/nic-team-vswi.htm
and not in the version that Google returns as the first result. That was
2 months of frustration right there, and partly why for the production
deployment I insisted on physical controllers (although the mobility
master is a VM).

In terms of my (probably ill-informed) view of the competitive
landscape, I've seen an Aerohive demo after Extreme acquired them and
was very impressed, but unfortunately they couldn't get me demo APs in
time to do testing before exams started. I believe WiNG isn't going
away, given the large customers who use it. Their latest APs run the
same wireless code and can be managed by Aerohive^WExtremeCloud IQ, WiNG
or XCA, your choice. Cisco, well WLC is legacy and the 9800 series might
be nice, but I'm yet to hear a good word about DNA Center. It's a beast,
it needs 56 cores, 256GB of RAM and 2TB of SSD, and it's not supported
as a VM (although people have made it work
http://blog.vpnv4.com/dna-center-esxi-installation-guide/ ). Meraki, I
don't like their business model. Aruba, well, we chose it in part
because Microsoft use it internally and that prevents them blaming the
wireless when we're getting them to fix their drivers. Mist I've never
used, Ruckus have always had great wireless performance and with
CloudPath are getting their authentication piece in order. Which brings
me to another point, consider the vendor's other offerings like
management systems and RADIUS servers. I've already said my piece about
DNA-C, and Airwave seems to have barely changed since I last used it 8
years ago. Extreme XMC is ok.

I've run out of time today to expound upon the problems with the Surface
wifi chipset, but it seems there is an underlying problem that then
causes different high level problems depending on the AP - I've seen
three different bad behaviours on Extreme, Aruba and Cisco. We've got
200 Surface Pro 7s with Intel AX201 chipsets which I'll hopefully

Thanks,

--
James Andrewartha
Network & Projects Engineer