I’m not sure that Wi-Fi data will be the best for doing actual contact tracing.
 Maybe if you’ve got the full blown Meridian location tracking or something
similar that can tie in Bluetooth-based beacons, but it seems to me that the
granularity of Wi-Fi only data wouldn’t quite be up to what you’d need for
effective contact tracing.  I’m not completely convinced that Bluetooth doesn’t
cast too wide a net either, but it’d be a lot better that Wi-Fi triangulation.

Where we’re anticipating having the discussion around Wi-Fi data is gauging
user/device density and duration of stay in general areas so that we can gauge
what areas present the greater risks of exposure.  There was a recent NYT
article that explored this using cell phone location data.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/06/opinion/coronavirus-us-reopen.html

Going back to contact tracing, as of right now we see the value of trying to
roll our own app or system to be limited given that there’s no way to tell what
people are going to do when they leave campus.  I’m hoping the state will come
up with something workable that we can then point everyone here to use.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>
PGP Public Key: <https://bt.ittns.northwestern.edu/julian/pgppubkey.html>

On May 15, 2020, at 11:17, McGuire, Michael
<000000208832ddd0-dmarc-requ...@listserv.educause.edu<mailto:000000208832ddd0-dmarc-requ...@listserv.educause.edu>>
 wrote:

As I’m sure everyone else is doing, we’re working on plans for having our
campus community rejoin us at some point. The question of “how far back do you
keep wireless logs” was just asked which of course leads to “we want to see
where a person has been on a given day”.

This of course has privacy issues along with the technical challenges of
storing and accessing that data.

Has anyone else been asked to look into this or begun to make preparations for
such?

Being an Aruba shop we already leverage AirWave reports for our campus police
when tracing lost or stolen devices as well as where a user has been or devices
in an area at a specific time.

This request seems to be a larger scale with potentially more moving parts.

- Michael

Michael McGuire
Network Systems Administrator
Monmouth University
mmcgu...@monmouth.edu<mailto:mmcgu...@monmouth.edu>
732.263.5589
<image001.png><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.monmouth.edu/?utm_source=Email*Signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email*Signature*Generator__;Kysr!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!GxdXiJ7V22R-CDaaztQ6k-ODF5Ou3tlHTD5MIYpPr8iu4Avdrb9P8gdGGcZypbLaFMvufg$>
400 Cedar Avenue
West Long Branch, NJ 07764
monmouth.edu<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.monmouth.edu/?utm_source=Email*Signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email*Signature*Generator__;Kysr!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!GxdXiJ7V22R-CDaaztQ6k-ODF5Ou3tlHTD5MIYpPr8iu4Avdrb9P8gdGGcZypbLaFMvufg$>
<image002.png><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/monmouthu__;!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!GxdXiJ7V22R-CDaaztQ6k-ODF5Ou3tlHTD5MIYpPr8iu4Avdrb9P8gdGGcZypbLnKTorsw$>
<image003.png><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/MonmouthUniversity__;!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!GxdXiJ7V22R-CDaaztQ6k-ODF5Ou3tlHTD5MIYpPr8iu4Avdrb9P8gdGGcZypbLszoFXbQ$>
<image004.png><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://instagram.com/monmouthuniversity__;!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!GxdXiJ7V22R-CDaaztQ6k-ODF5Ou3tlHTD5MIYpPr8iu4Avdrb9P8gdGGcZypbLwXUY6fw$>
<image005.png><https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.snapchat.com/add/monmouthu__;!!Dq0X2DkFhyF93HkjWTBQKhk!GxdXiJ7V22R-CDaaztQ6k-ODF5Ou3tlHTD5MIYpPr8iu4Avdrb9P8gdGGcZypbI6PXAvNQ$>