We size our AP management networks for how many devices we expect to need, but
generally a /24 is sufficient for each building since we do not have more than
200 APs in a single building.  Small buildings get a /26 each.  It really
doesn't matter what the prefix length is (as long as it is big enough), but
rather how many devices actually end up on a single L2.  We avoid stretching L2
across buildings for all use cases, not just AP management.  We share the AP
management network with other infrastructure devices like UPSes, but not with
IP phones, printers, or other end-user devices.  I'd imagine that if you keep
end-user devices off the same VLAN as your APs, you shouldn't have to worry too
much about broadcast traffic even with 2000 APs on a single VLAN if that is
actually required.  But I'd keep your L2's as small as practical--don't share
L2 across buildings if you have the capability to separate them.  Don't let
laziness dictate the network design.  So far this has worked well for us.