From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Monday, July 20, 2020 at 2:21 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] MAC Randomization, a step further...
Passpoint solves all of these issues.

Tim

From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Date: Monday, July 20, 2020 at 17:14
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>

For guests, I've been tossing around the idea of an open network. No

.1x, no PSK, no captive portal. Affiliates would be encouraged to use

eduroam via SSO nag. Columbia University had a presentation on how they

are doing the open network side of this. I suspect the most difficult

part will be getting legal on board. Who has an open network? What have

your experiences been? This is only tangentially related, so feel free

to split it into a new thread.

We run an open network for guests.  It has been wonderful for guests and they
all like it.

The major problem has been student, faculty, staff devices connect to the guest
network (usually unbeknown to the user).  Restrictions on that network then
cause support calls.  Google decided the network was “good” and so Android
devices connect by default (then VPN tunnel back to Google).  We don’t want to
block that due to guests.

But maybe there will be a new problem.  When devices have been found infected
on any of our networks we’ve quarantined by MAC address.  Hmmm… so for our
users we can quarantine by their user name (much less helpful to take all their
devices offline instead of just the one infected, but hey this progress right).
 I don’t know what we do with infected guest devices (or as our users’ device
decides to move to the guest network because they were blocked on the main
network) if they are randomizing between connections.  Vendors haven’t thought
this through.  That may push a registration method with credentials for guests
— meaning less privacy?

--
William Green, Director of Networking and Telecommunications
The University of Texas at Austin | ITS | 512-475-9295 |