From: Letts, Richard J <rle...@purdue.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: High DNS Lookup Time - Aruba Sensor

I had experience of an aruba product flagging high DHCP response times, and it
was somewhat frustrating because there was no evidence in the DHCP server logs
that anything was amiss: every received packet had a subsecond response time,
there were no drops on any of the network interfaces statistics, but the alerts
continued to accumulate.

After much digging it turned out that the Linux kernel did not have a large
enough internal buffer for received UDP packets and was dropping them after
receipt, but before the DHCP server
Check to see if you have drops recorded in /proc/net/udp
[the statistics are reset when processes restart. The kernel uses more than the
data received size to buffer and the limit for all received UDP packets is by
default only 131071 bytes, so a relatively small number of packets could
overload the buffer]. I'm going to suggest on linux-based DNS and DHCP servers
this limit probably wants to be a LOT larger. I've not run DHCP on Windows.

Next, you might want to check what the actual DNS lookup is being performed.
The default DNS UDP packet size is 512 bytes, so if the queries have a reply
larger than that the client MAY switch to TCP, which will cause a redo of the
lookups, and latency. I see this in places with AD-connected DNS servers where
the DNS server role is added to all of the AD servers or you've a lot of TXT
records associated with a domain.
[the 'ANY' reply for purdue.edu for example is over 1600 bytes]

Hope these pointers provide some help to someone.

Richard Letts
Director, Networking and Telecommunications
Purdue University
rle...@purdue.edu<mailto:rle...@purdue.edu>
O: 765-496-1663
C: 206-790-5837