I agree but to one extent. One could say we just open up WiFi like
Starbucks. Students, Faculty, Staff, visitors, anyone could just simply hop
on, check a box and connect.

But wouldn't it better to do it more like we do at home? Have some type of
password or method of authenticating who can use the home network? After
all, you wouldn't want anyone from the street to come over and open the
spigot.  Or just park in front of your house and just wardrive.

A network with the simplest level of authentication for members of the
community is the ideal solution.  And if you want, also a "one-click" Guest
network.  But having students onboard I think it's overkill.

My .02...