From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> On Behalf Of Ian Lyons
Sent: Monday, August 9, 2021 12:50 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Ekahau Update

Good Day Everyone!

Eric and I were happy to host a meeting with many of you about Ekahau last
Friday.

We had a peak of 28 folks and an average of 18!  Thank you for coming!

The meeting started with introductions and that lasted about the first 20 min
or so.
Steve (VP Global Sales) and Stewart (SE North America) were Ekahau
representatives. Both started ~2 years ago

Then we segued into how people used the product:
Sidekick, AP on a stick, Design, Analysis, Engineering, and proof of
engineering were the common threads.

Steve opened the introductions and brought up a point that Ekahau EULA was
always 1:1. Members that have been using the product for 8+ years have evidence
that it was initially concurrent users' vs 1:1.  Further the "teeth" that made
sharing the gear difficult became active in version 10.3.

Many schools, large and small, with disparate sized teams as well as healthcare
indicated that there isn't a 1 size fits all.

Pro's and Con's:
Some folks have deep pockets and will fund other active users.  Others stated
that the device is used periodically and could be used by interns for site
surveys up to proof of design and engineering validation by FTE's.
Use of a physical hardware license key was discussed:  On the one hand it makes
it easier to tie to license to something, but that has the impact of requiring
people to come into contact to hand it off.
The spirit of the device was a sporadically used tool but only 1 person at a
time.

Some suggestions by the group and Ekahau, were a tiered approach of access.

Where we left things is that Stephen (SVP of Sales) will work with his
management to determine an alternate EULA\connection model that will better fit
our needs (those on the call).  We agreed to another meeting, ideally in 8
weeks' time to review Stephen's work on our behalf.

Steve was adamant that any problems by the group accessing a tool because of
lock out/access please send an email to him (email info below) and he will help
get you access to the tool again.

steve.lit...@ekahau.com<mailto:steve.lit...@ekahau.com>
stewart.goum...@ekahau.com<mailto:stewart.goum...@ekahau.com>

Link to the Meeting
Webex meeting recording: Ekahau and Educause WIFI Group
Password: EducauseWifi
Recording link:
https://rollins.webex.com/rollins/ldr.php?RCID=12596eece193961c0a7e8c4c5e51a99e

*Any mistakes in the summarization are mine, on how the product works or ties
together.  I do not have the product, so my knowledge gaps were a result of
unfamiliarity of the product and a poor google search to educate myself.

Cheers
Ian J Lyons
Network Architect - Rollins College
401.413.1661 Cell
407.628.6396 Desk

This message is from an external sender. Learn more about why this
matters.<https://ut.service-now.com/sp?id=kb_article&number=KB0011401>