Upon closer inspection, I believe that my fears were overblown.

It seems that what ACTUALLY changed in the certificate was the friendly
name, and the root CA is still the same.  I only discovered this when I
imported the 'new' root CA into our eduroam CAT config and saw that all of
the properties appeared to be the same.

When viewed with the Windows built-in certificate viewer, our certificate
chain appears as:
Sectigo (AAA) - CN = AAA Certificate Services
|__ CN = USERTrust RSA Certification Authority
    |__CN = InCommon RSA Server CA
       |__connect.fandm.edu

If I view the details on the Sectigo (AAA) certificate, it shows as issued
to and by 'AAA Certificate Services,'  which does match the 'old' root CA.
The following screenshots are provided to highlight the source of my
confusion:

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

All of the certificates in the chain have friendly names that match their
CN's, except for the root.

Nevertheless, since we've gone this far, we are going to issue a new
certificate to both appliances so that they at least match.  I expect that
most clients will need to forget and re-add the network, but our existing
eduroam CAT config will work.  At the moment, our desktop support personnel
are pushing back on moving to a private CA due to the difficulty with
onboarding MacOS clients specifically, though they are also not
super-thrilled with the process for iOS devices.  We understand that this
is due to how the client OS handles installing these profiles, and are
hoping that using a different onboarding tool will make the process
bearable for users and help desk staff when we do roll to a private CA,
currently planned for next summer.  We were able to stand up a PoC Private
CA, thanks in very large part to the input that we received here.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input in this thread, and the encouragement
and information that is helping us to move to where we need to be.  This
has been, and continues to be, a valuable learning experience.

Jonathan Miller
Senior Network Analyst
Franklin and Marshall College