On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Tom DeReggi wrote:

>The benefit is there is strength in numbers and strength in unity.
>The world doesn't know the difference between a WISP, a WISPA
>member, a Part-15 member, a training organization, or a non-profit

You seem to be mistaking Part-15 for some kind of industry
organization.  That is not what it is.  In spite of what it is being
billed as, or at the least has been in the past, this is a
for-profit organization whose goal is to educate WISPs.

Having said that, let me state that I have no problem with a
for-profit venture.  I can respect someone for coming up with an
idea that makes the kind of money that Part-15 generates (mostly
from the WISPCON business).  I am not going to "air dirty laundry"
here, but I will say that you should not be mislead about what
Part-15 is about.  This organization is not now, nor has it ever
been an organization that is intended to represent the WISP industry
to the FCC, the media or anywhere else for that matter.

>By partnering with any organization that represents WISPs, for any
>reason, it strengthens WISPs in the public eye.  Regardless of

I am not a believer in the idiom that "any press is good press".
Part-15 is now, and has been since I have been watching, a very
disorganized group.  Part-15 is not representing anyone other than
Part-15.  You can disagree with this assessment, but that is how I
see it.

>wether Part-15's first effort worked out, they openly took WISPA on
>as partners before hand, and I see no reason to change that after
>the fact, just because one party ran into an unfortuneate
>situation.  That would be like using them. Everyone has their

Ok, perhaps I did not state clearly enough what I meant.  I have no
problem with Part-15 and WISPA doing a joint partnership in terms of
trying to organize the efforts related to Katrina and the teams of
individuals headed to the coast.  This type of organization is
needed to (as you said) minimize duplication of efforts.  It is the
idea of a "relationship" that others are talking about that goes
beyond this effort that I am questioning.

>> I am not up to "blurring the efforts of Part-15", but someone please
>> explain what benefit it is to form a "relationship" with Part-15.

This statement is from my original post on the subject.  I don't
have a problem in joining with them in the Katrina relief effort.
As stated above, there is even some benefit.  It is what goes beyond
that that I was questioning.

--
Butch Evans
BPS Networks  http://www.bpsnetworks.com/