On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Don Renner wrote:

>Your Confirmation Number is: '2005929853326 '
>Date Received: Sep 29 2005
>Docket: 04-186

Your Confirmation Number is: '2005101874059 '

I thank you for the opportunity to address this issue.  I hope that
you are able to hear the voices that I have seen speak out here.
Many of these voices, like mine, are small, independent ISPs.  We
don't have thousands of dollars to spend on lobbying efforts.  Nor
do we have millions of customers.  At least we don't have these
things individually.  As a group, however, WISPs have done some
pretty amazing things with too little money and too little spectrum.
The spectrum we have been using is overcrowded and, with the small
EIRP allowed, only of limited usefulness.  We (as a group) have,
however, made extremely efficient use of this spectrum.  We have
connected MILLIONS of rural Americans to the internet with HIGH
SPEED Broadband.

Following the Katrina and Rita disasters, it was WISPs who first put
communication networks in place so that victims of these storms were
able to communicate via VOiP with their relatives.  WISP volunteers
are STILL working to bring telephone and internet access to the
shelters in the affected areas.

With the spectrum in question with the 04-186 proceeding, WISPs
would have the ability to provide better coverage in the many
underserved ares where we are already attempting to cover.  There
are a multitude of problems that WISPs face daily with respect to
the current spectrum that has been allocated for our use.  Among
these are interference, low power and lack of penetration/LOS
issues.  As you are all aware, the lower frequency of the unused TV
band will provide us with a means to provide broadband internet
access much more consistently with the low power requirements
imposed on us.  WISPs have a track record of providing broadband
internet access to largely unserved areas.  Due to the low
population density of these areas, it is often not cost effective to
build out enough towers to provide this near 100% coverage.  The use
of this currently unused band would make that problem a thing of the
past.

Finally, I would urge the commission to allow unlicensed use in this
band, even if it is on a managed basis.  This band is important to
the commission's own stated goal of bringing broadband access to all
Americans.  It is WISPs that are fulfilling that goal in areas that
the RBOCs and cableops are not willing to invest in.  WISPs are,
individually, not large operators, but taken as a whole, we have
shown that we can deploy quickly and effectively.  Given access to a
band such as this, we can grow even more quickly.  Given access to a
band such as this, we CAN and WILL bring broadband to Americans that
will otherwise have NO chance of exceeding dialup.

Butch Evans,
BPS Networks
--
Butch Evans