Level 3 Issues Ultimatum
Restores connectivity to Cogent until Nov 9

Posted 2005-10-07 19:15:54

After restoring connectivity to Cogent this afternoon, Level 3 has now
issued a press release (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/68244) explaining
their side of the story
(http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051007/laf057.html?.v=17). "Despite more than
75 days of advance written notice of the termination of our agreement,
Cogent apparently failed to notify its customers or make any business plans
to prepare for disconnection," notes Sureel Choksi, executive vice president
of Level 3 Communications.

The restored peering arrangement won't last if Cogent isn't willing to
negotiate, however.

"Level 3 has, effective immediately, re-established a free connection to
Cogent. In order to allow Internet users to make alternative arrangements,
we will maintain this connection until 6:00 a.m. ET, November 9, 2005. The
effectiveness of this arrangement of course depends on Cogent's willingness
to maintain their side of the traffic exchange."

Frank Muto
Co-founder -  Washington Bureau for ISP Advocacy - WBIA
Telecom Summit Ad Hoc Committee
http://gigabytemarch.blog.com/     www.wbia.us