On 11/2/2005 3:41 AM, Tom DeReggi created:
[...]
> Sounds like a good plan. You can do that at gigabit speeds, because
> people that know they need to buy gigabit speeds understand the
> business. Residential End users on the other hand do not.

  I actually do it at tens-of-megabits-speed for (mostly) small
businesses.  There is definitely a steeper customer education curve
for residential consumers, but if they can't grasp the concept of bits
through the network, then they are doomed to believe most marketing
hype thrown at them.  Imagine consumers who were unable to
differentiate between different grades of meat at the supermarket...
oh yeah, I guess most can't without the USDA.  We definitely need a
better system, but I believe that the system involves fact-based,
consistent metrics instead of marketing-department-chosen metrics.

[...]
> Great point.  These low price points that follow assumptions, are fueled
> by large marketers like ILECs and Cable companies. And all ISPs get
> squeezed into this position.

  It is extremely difficult to compete in the short run with a
competitor dumping product into the market.  Monopolists are experts
at this type of behavior because they have money that they can burn to
put potential competitors out of business and extract their previous
losses from the consumers during their period as a monopoly.  It's the
responsibility of government to ensure that this doesn't happen.
Unfortunately, the current regulators are either unqualified to apply
the existing law to these circumstances or unwilling for other reasons.

[...]
> If you sell by features and
> consumers understand all that, you'll always loose he business because
> someone else always has better features. They don't need to evaluate
> what they are buying, they just need good guarantees to protect them.
> So if their perception of perceived value is not there they can go
> elsewhere. Thus bringing up the need for competition.

  Competition is all about selling features that consumers can
understand better than the others.  If you can't provide an efficient
product for the consumer then your business should either change what
it sells or go out of business.  Would you rather that marketing
budgets determined who stays in business?  Government?  I don't think
that consumers benefit from either of the latter models.  I would much
prefer winning the customer's business with a superior product.

[...]
> Agreed. but hard to inforce accuracy of published data.

  I think that this is the battle worth fighting.  It ensures that
consumers receive the most accurate information so that they can make
an informed decision about the services that they are purchasing.
Allowing marketing to determine consumer perceptions only makes money
for the marketers and the company with the most effective marketing
campaigns.  Providing a level playing field with accurate, comparable
information allows the competitor with the best services to prevail.

[...]
> The problem is that if I charged for usage I'd be out of business,
> because nobody uses their service very much.
> Instead I charge for QOS, I can deliver it since the network is so
> underused.

  You don't necessarily need to charge based on usage.  You can charge
based on whatever you like.  My point was that if you provide an
'unlimited' service you should be able to deliver an unlimited
service.  In the end you have to charge based on usage (or
substantially raise your prices) if your customers' usage patterns change.

  If I understood you correctly, you were advocating finding someone
else to charge for usage when the usage patterns change.  This doesn't
make sense to me for two primary reasons: 1) Why would 'others' (not
your direct customer) pay you unless you had a monopoly on the
consumer[1]?  2) Your customers are demanding the additional bandwidth
so why shouldn't they pay for it?

[...]
[I snipped the stuff about discounts because I don't think that
charging content providers is a feasible endeavor unless you have
unusually loyal customers demanding a high volume of (valuable to the
content-network) information]

[...]

Tom, you're a pleasure to have a discussion with.  Thanks for your
insights.

 - Tony

[1] Or you colluded with the other duopolist. -- This was essentially
AOL's (and CompuServe/Prodigy/etc) model before the Internet was part
of their service offering.  After the Internet became popular, they
realized that their ability to control the relationship between the
content provider and the consumer was limited because the consumer
often had other (cheaper, faster, simpler) choices for accessing the
content provider.  To try to retain customers, they provided a
connection to some of the same (paying) content providers through the
Internet without being directly compensated for it.

On the other hand, there is a market for certain large content
providers to pay eyeball networks (directly and indirectly) for
access.  A few companies have even created businesses based on
brokering that relationship (Akami, MirrorImage, Switch and Data,
Equinix, etc.)