From: "John Scrivner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:54 AM
Subject: [WISPA] Ethernet based authentication

Anyone out there have experience with PPPoE?. I have a client who is a
local government entity. They have people who have abused their Internet
connection in the past. They restrict who has Internet access and when
it can be used. One of our techs unknowingly circumvented protocol by
helping an employee learn how to connect his personal laptop to the
hardwired Ethernet network. Now the government entity is highly peeved
at me. They want a complete report on the incident and a plan for how I
will prevent people from doing this in the future at all locations. I am
thinking we can use PPPoE to force all users even on the hardwired
network to authenticate in order to get on the Internet. What are your
thoughts? What will this break on an internal network that may be doing
other things? Could an internal Windows network still function normally
while the computer is not authenticated for Internet access? I have
never done PPPoE and need a little guidance from those of you who have.
Many thanks,
Scriv