Follow up:

Ken Vasilyev at WinnCom says that the TurboCell licenses are available and should remain available via WinnCom. Software only....

He told me that WinnCom had complained loudly the last time terrorbeam did this and had gotten sales of the licenses reinstated. He also said that he did not expect terrorbeam to try it again after the bad publicity from the last time....

Of course, your mileage may vary...

Here is a link to the Karlnet mailing list. Not very busy, but you can often get help with TurboCell problems there...

For those who need it, here is Ken's contact info:

Ken Vasilyev,
Account Manager
Winncom Technologies Corp.
30700 Carter Street,
Suite A
Solon, OH 44139
USA
Toll Free: 888 946-6266 Ext.117
Int'l (440) 498-9510 Ext. 117
Fax: (440) 498-9511
Mobile:(216) 269-2186
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Blair Davis wrote:

I feel your pain as well.....  Same deal here.

WinnCom is still listing the TurboCell licenses for sale. I will confirm availability as soon as my sales guy gets back from lunch.

Rick's WRAP with CF will work as well. However, if the TurboCell licenses are no longer available, I wonder if Rick will be able to continue to produce them?

Other possibilities are in the works.
Terrorbeam/YDI/Proxim/Karlnet or whoever they are this week annoyed a lot of people with this mishandling of the TurboCell software and hardware. Not to mention the callous way they treated the folks at the Karlnet offices in Ohio.

Personally, while I will continue to buy TurboCell licenses as long as they are available, I will never consider any new Terrorbeam/YDI/Proxim/Karlnet products. We are looking toward Netstream on WRAP or RouterBoard as our long term solution. Others have their own choices for software/hardware.

Planning on doing each conversion of a tower and client equipment over a weekend, then reclaiming to old TurboCell equipment for other locations on other towers....

Mark Nash wrote:

Hello to the list...

My name is Mark Nash and I own & operate a little WISP of about 300 customers in Oregon.

For CPE, I started out using Breezecom 2.4GHz FH radios then switched to Karlnet RSU's loaded w/Turbocell. Then the YDI/Terabeam/Proxim series of mergers & acquisitions happened and I've got products from all companies but they are all Turbocell CPE.

We have 6 WiPops surrounding our customer base (rural southern Willamette Valley). We're using Trango backhauls...I started out using them simply because of their low cost and advertised bandwidth. I still have two in use from when the company was called Sunstream (I think it was 2002). I remain happy about that decision.

We started out with a bridged network then ARP changed my tune and we went to a routed design.

OK, so...there it is. For those of you who know what's going on with Turbocell from the new Proxim, you probably know that I'm not happy as they have set out to discontinue the Turbocell client software. So I will soon have to purchase new AP's and shift some customers around because I won't be able to purchase Turbocell-based devices. That's the word from Proxim. So...anyone heard any differently? I've also asked Proxim if we can 'downgrade' our Turbocell products to 802.11b and they are saying 'no'.

It's a you-know-what sandwich from which I'd rather not take a bite.

Does anyone feel my pain? Any way around these issues aside from replacing CPE?

Regards,

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net