Tom,

You would be best to build it yourself or buy it from another WISP like Matt. (Or Lightyear).
You are not going to find your described Partner.
Vendors are usually not partners.
I have dealt with many, many companies in the telecom space - and hardly any understand the word.
VOIP Providers are still trying to figure out how to make money.
Many sell both retail and wholesale - which leads you to the ILEC model of vendor/competitor.

My comment about Voice not being data and CLEC failures:
CLECs fail because they have a BOC business structure and processes without having the BOC monopoly. CLECs fail because they sell me-too products on price and the implementation is usually not smooth. (I don't care if it is the ILEC's fault - the customer perceives the problem as the CLEC).
You can only blame the FCC for so much.
How about DA/YP/WP? Do you know how many CLECs forgot that?
Deploying VOIP is not like putting in a DSL modem and heading home.
Extensions, LAN assesment, yadda da.
But then you sold PCPBXs so you know all this.

I think you missed the point about 20 subs or less being prohibitive.
For an ISP, having a referral agent doing 20 subs is huge.
For a national provider, 20 lines is a waste of time.
Many companies would rather work with 25 companies that sell 100s than 2500 companies that sell 10. Even ISPs tell me they would rather have 100 subs making a $1 each than 2 subs making $50 each.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but this is how I have seen it over the last 5 years dealing with the industry.

Regards,

Peter