    *From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    *To:* 'WISPA General List' <mailto:wireless@wispa.org>
    *Sent:* Monday, February 13, 2006 8:11 PM
    *Subject:* RE: [WISPA] 900 client and omni antennas

    What about the pacwireless grid’s?

    *From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *Tom DeReggi
    *Sent:* Monday, February 13, 2006 2:11 PM
    *To:* WISPA General List

        The best client antenna in 900 depends on the typical weather /
    environment, not just specifically best antenna.

        To combat heavy foliage in very Rural areas (dry summer
    months), M2inc's - 17 dbi Yagis have been invaluable to gain
    maximum RSSI, to penetrate the trees.  However, they become
    useless in Winter weather, when they get ice buildup on them.

In a ice/snow heavy environment, panel antennas are MUCH better,
    for example the built-in 10dbi antenna of Trango 900 radios, to
    get max allowed RSSI in a weather resistent panel enclosure.  The
    F/B is poor (only 12 db), but often the best choice for ease,
    cost, and Dual pol flexibilty.

In high noise areas, such as Urban or colocated near paging gear,
    a high quality antenna like MTI's 10 dbi panel, offers maximum F/B
    ratio, to block out interference. Not much can out perform them,
but at a trade off of cost and flexibility of pol change on the fly.

        When Yagi's can be mounted low for easy access, (within Gorilla
    Ladder height (18 feet), and for residential where I can afford to
    take the risk of not having pol change on the fly (usually
    consistent noise floor on a polarity), I don't hesitate to install
    a Yagi as my first choice.  Often Verticle is less desirable
    interference any way, based on paging companies.  However, for
    critical links, installing the M2inc yagis are risky. They
    mounting method is horrible. It allows a lot of play for the Yagi
    to move in heavy winds.  If mounted high on a steep roof, I avoid
    the Yagi unless they are absolutely necessary, because they need
    mcuh more frequent attention. For example to wipe the snow off of
    them, or re-align.

        There are someother Yagis that have more secure double point
    mounts, around 12-15 dbi, if you can afford to give up the 2 db.

As for verticle Omni type client antennas, for example for mobile
    apps, I have no advice.

             Tom DeReggi
    RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
    IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband