Generally, we end up debating all day and all night on the lists of "what's
the best radio" or "who's got those cool blue lights" -- however, FWIW, I've
noticed that there seldom is any debate on "useful" topics like sales &
marketing (especially of the product positioning of license-exempt wireless)

Do we call it wDSL? Wireless? More than Wifi? WiMAX? -- who knows? But fuel
the fire with a few observations

<rant>

ARPU is an acronym for the Average Revenue per User.  This is the average
revenue factored across all customers as if each were charged the same price
-- with some customers charged less and others more.  Customer type usually
determines price.  In addition, a Network Operator's valuation is a direct
multiple of its ARPU.

The Marginal Recurring Cost (MRC) as compared to its Service Level /
Marginal Recurring Revenue (MRR) of delivering the following license-exempt
broadband wireless "WiMAX" connections have been calculated as follows:

Broadband "Lite" Residential Service
(512 / 512 Kb Burstable)
MRR: $24.95
MRC: $20

Best Effort Residential Service
(5 Mb / 512 Kb Burstable)
MRR: $39.95
MRC: $20

Best Effort Business Class Service
(5 Mb / 1 Mb Burstable)
MRR: $149.95
MRC: $25

Dedicated Business Class Service
(5 Mb / 3 Mb Burstable)
(1 Mb / 1 Mb Dedicated)
MRR: $249.95
MRC: $30

Dedicated Business SLA Service
(5 Mb / 3 Mb Burstable)
(3 Mb / 3 Mb Dedicated)
MRR: $449.95
MRC: $40

Looking at the numbers, it's obvious that a higher ARPU increases the
overall health of the bottom line.

Interestingly enough, all the following service plans are achieved using the
EXACT SAME license-exempt broadband wireless access technology.  So why is
the differentiating factor that allows some WISPs to sell that
Canopy/Trango/Alvarion/whatever last mile connection for $300+ month ARPU
while other can barely get $30 / month ARPU?

IT'S OBVIOUSLY MORE THAN "JUST" TECHNOLOGY...

<rant>