Fair question and you are right to call me on it Dylan. Roadstar went from a wi-fi based product, went from that to another brand, and from that to Alvarion. Each move was motivated by a desire to much improve the performance from a reliability standpoint, remote and more comprehensive management of the network, reduce faults, increase capacity, and pretty much improve everything so they could scale without scaling the headaches they were experiencing. As well, it is also true that they wanted to increase the equity value of the network. They gained all these things in transitioning to Alvarion. You can are welcome to reach out and ask him if you wish, while as busy as all of us he is pretty assessable.

- Patrick

From: Dylan Oliver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:52 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] This is HUGE!

On 5/30/06, Patrick Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You are right about our having some folks going back years. Maybe the
longest example would Jason's Midcoast in Maine. Midcoast goes back at least
to 1997. In addition to those, we have a pretty good crop of more recent
operators that have moved upstream, so to speak. A prototypical example of
one like that is Marty Dougherty's Roadstar Internet in Loudon County, VA.
He transitioned upward twice from where he started in terms of vendor
choice. We also have a healthy number of CLECs, especially post-DSL
deregulation.

Patrick,

If you don't mind, please elucidate us (me) on the subject of upward mobility in the BWIA foodchain .. I'm intrigued by the term "vendor choice" - what are the criteria? What are the benefits of assumed standing? What patterns do you see in the success and failure of network operators?

Thanks,
--
Dylan Oliver
Primaverity, LLC