Couldn't say for sure, but I have a suspicion -> static discharge in the antenna.  Worked on Canopy at Motorola.  At one time they used an antenna coupling circuit that was highly static sensitive (at the antenna).  They reworked the antenna coupling to make it less succeptible.  If these cards are not explicitly designed for outdoor use then I'd suspect this.  When the antenna coupler pops you get a high insertion loss to the antenna (power going in or out suffers).  This seems to fit your symptoms.  I'm not a ham, and don't have any suggestions on how to reduce the potential for static discharge in the antenna to pop an antenna coupler on the board.  But I'd check if the antenna mount is grounded to the same ground as the radio board.

Rich
----- Original Message -----
From: Kelly Shaw
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 3:56 PM
Subject: [WISPA] Atheros 5213 PCI Card Keeps Breaking

I'm running a StarOS Wrap Combo with an Atheros 5213 PCI card at one of my POPs.

When the slightest thunderstorm comes through, I lose this card.  For some reason or another it's output drops severely and only my closest clients can connect.  I go from a -65 signal to -85+ on my closest client.  My tower has never had a direct hit through all of this.

The WRAP board appears to be working just fine and I can access the STAROS program just fine.

A replacement of the radio card brings things back to normal.

I have a surge suppressor in-line with only 10 feet of LMR-400 to my antenna.

Could my problem be that my ground is shoddy?

I've been through 4 of these cards in the past year because of this and can't figure it out.

Once these storms go through tonight, I am thinking about filing down my ground connection to the tower to ensure a better contact surface.

Kelly Shaw
Pure Internet, Inc.