Hi Jason,

Lots of pics here:
http://odessaoffice.com/wireless/ If you use any of them kindly give me credit....

First off, you should explain to these guys that you are putting up what amounts to a home weather station. There's NO need for you to build a "real" tower on a hill side. This is important because there's also no need for you to fall under the same engineering requirements as the cell phone companies. (I'll also note that the requirements they've placed here seem designed to keep providers out rather than encourage them to come to town.)

The most you'll need to service one or two small areas from a hill is a utility pole and there's no need for any kind of engineering study when sticking them in the ground eh?

Access to the site is YOUR problem not theirs. Especially if it's a remote solar powered site. If there's no access then you assume the liability and risk for fire etc. If they can't get there to put a fire out and you loose everything that's your problem not theirs.

Why should contractors be required if you can do the work yourself? Tell them that you are your own contractor.

Federally, you don't need any licenses or permits for the system you are building. You probably do need a business license for your area but that's it. There's no reason for them to require a permit for every radio or antenna you hang. Just get a site permit and I'd think that should do.

Here's what I've done in the past..... I had a town that wanted $1500 per month in tower rent (for the top of the water tower) and $5,000,000 in insurance coverage. I told them that I'd love to be able to pay that, but with service rates of $35 per month there was just no way that I could. I also said that I really wanted to help make their community a better one and offer some competition in the broadband market. They had to help me though. We had to work as partners. In the end, it's the voters and tax payers that win.

My counter proposal to them was free internet for all city buildings (shop, town hall, library, police etc.). Our existing $1,000,000 insurance coverage and NON exclusive use of the tower.

We have done this with two towns in the area now. Our contract states that we have to shut down if we cause interference to ANYONE in the area when we turn our system on. We then have to fix the interference issue before we can light up again. (this was done to prove that we're interested in being a good neighbor) Our contract does say that if anyone else goes up on the towers they can't interfere with us either. I showed them how small our antennas were compared to what they were thinking and they let me go with my current insurance coverage. They buy the hardware for any sites that they want lit up, but we provide all access and we do some computer work for them when they ask. No charge.

I really leaned on the idea that we're here with low prices and that we want to keep it that way. We also want to help the town grow economically and having the ability for people to live in the small towns while working for big city companies or being self employed but selling outside of the area are great ways to help the community to thrive.

Hope that helps.
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless