MOTOROLA AND INTEL TO INVEST IN CLEARWIRE
[SOURCE: New York Times, AUTHOR: Laurie Flynn & John Markoff]
The investment units of Intel and Motorola said Wednesday that together they would invest $900 million in Clearwire, a wireless Internet service provider, in hopes of speeding development of its high-speed wide-range network. Intel Capital said it would make a $600 million cash investment in Clearwire, which was founded nearly three years ago by Craig O. McCaw, a pioneer in the cellular telephone industry.

Motorola Ventures would not say how much of its $300 million investment would be in cash. In a related transaction, Motorola said it would buy Clearwire's NextNet Wireless subsidiary for an undisclosed amount. Analysts said Intel and Motorola wanted to give a lift to WiMax, a standard for mobile wireless that is used by Clearwire and is competing with technology from Qualcomm. WiMax is much like the popular WiFi networking standard but works over much greater distances, carrying both Internet data and mobile phone calls. A single WiMax base station could connect hundreds or potentially thousands of customers to the Internet over distances of many miles.

Also see: Intel puts money on wireless networks - $600 MILLION INVESTMENT IN COMPANY BUILDING WIMAX
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/14976053.htm

Frank Muto
Co-founder -  Washington Bureau for ISP Advocacy - WBIA
Telecom Summit Ad Hoc Committee
http://gigabytemarch.blog.com/     www.wbia.us

----- Original Message ----- From: "D. Ryan Spott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a tower in rural Western Washington.

Today I went in to find 5 of thier radios still in the box, 1 Orthogon systems PTP ethernet bridge, an APS rack etc....

So... does anyone else out there compete with Mr McCaw? How does his service stack up?

I don't mean to be a "the sky is falling" or conspiracy theory kind of guy but not only is Clearwire suddenly up in this area, but I think Clearwire may be the party that is applying for all of the RUS loans in our rural areas.

And on the RUS loans deal, does anyone know who to complain to if I don't feel there was adequate legal notice to the RUS loan being applied for in my area?

ryan