I dunno if this will help anyone or not, yet we received this today after
filing last week as requested on the list(s).

***********

Thank you for contacting me on network neutrality. I appreciate hearing from
you on this important issue.

I co-sponsored the Snowe-Dorgan 'Internet Freedom Preservation Act' (S.
2917) because I believe that when it comes to the future of the Internet,
there is nothing more important than preserving a system that fosters
innovation and is free from the discriminatory practices that may stifle
competition and restrict access to the marketplace of ideas. It is urgent
that Congress take action now because after last year's U.S. Supreme Court
decision and subsequent rule issued by the Federal Communications Commission
(FCC) to deregulate broadband over phone lines, there is no law that
prevents network operators from giving its own content and services
preferential treatment over that offered by unaffiliated parties.

Last August, at the same time it deregulated broadband over phone lines,
also known as DSL, the FCC adopted four net neutrality principles. They are:

To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to
access the lawful Internet content of their choice.

To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to run
applications and use services of their choice, subject to the needs of law
enforcement.

To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to
connect their choice of legal devices that do not harm the network.

To encourage broadband deployment and preserve and promote the open and
interconnected nature of the public Internet, consumers are entitled to
competition among network providers, application and service providers, and
content providers.

While these principles were an important first step, they do not fully
address the range of concerns, and more importantly are not enforceable by
law or regulation.

As you may know, on June 8, 2006, the House of Representatives passed the
"Communications Opportunity, Promotion, and Enhancement Act" (COPE), which
grants the FCC authority to enforce its August 2005 network neutrality
principles in complaint proceedings. In addition, COPE would establish fines
of up to $500,000 per violation and require the FCC to resolve network
neutrality complaints within 90 days. A stronger net neutrality amendment,
addressing the issue of "non-discrimination" was offered and defeated at the
Energy and Commerce Committee mark up of the COPE Act as well as on the
House floor.

In the Senate, on May 1, 2006 Senator Stevens, Chairman of the Senate
Commerce Committee, introduced the Communications, Consumer's Choice, and
Broadband Deployment Act (S. 2686). The first version of the Act only
required the FCC report annually to Congress on net neutrality and make
recommendations if necessary. Even though subsequent drafts of the Act
improved on the first version by adopting language closer to House-passed
language on net neutrality, overall, the net neutrality provisions in S.
2686 still fell far short of what I believe is necessary to protect
consumers and businesses that rely on the Internet.

At the Senate Commerce Committee mark up of the Act, I co-sponsored an
amendment with Senators Snowe, Dorgan, Boxer, and Kerry that would add a
critical fifth principle to what the FCC adopted last year and make all the
principles enforceable. The fifth principle is a "non-discrimination
principle" that states simply "end users shall be entitled to service from
each broadband Internet access provider that does not discriminate in the
carriage and treatment of Internet traffic based on the source, destination,
or ownership of such traffic".

After a long debate in the Commerce Committee on June 28th, the amendment
failed on an 11 to 11 vote. The Act was subsequently reported out of
Committee to the full Senate without my support, largely due to the lack of
"non-discrimination" net neutrality amendment. Please be assured I will keep
your views in mind and continue to fight for a fair, enforceable, net
neutrality language to be included into the Act if and when it gets to the
Senate floor.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter.
Finally, you may be interested in signing up for my weekly update for
Washington state residents. Every Monday, I provide a brief outline about my
work in the Senate and issues of importance to Washington state.  If you are
interested in subscribing to this update, please visit my website at
http://cantwell.senate.gov .  Please do not hesitate to contact me in the
future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

For future correspondence with my office, please visit my website at
http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/index.html