Just to add to the XO and L3 VoIP conversation:
Broadwing has a smaller footprint, but a solid offering.
VerizonBusiness has a solid offering (formerly MCI)
PointOne has a decent footprint (80% or so).

Full disclosure: I rep them all.

Peter
RAD-INFO, Inc.

Matt Liotta wrote:

4. If you will or are doing VoIP as a service, will/are you leveraging third
parties? If so, who do like?

We use XO and Volo Communications. I wouldn't recommend either. First, XO requires at least a 1M minute monthly commit and is very difficult to work with. We are through our pains with them now, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone else. Level3 has the best footprint, but requires at least a $25K monthly commit, so we went with Volo, which is a Level3 reseller. Much like XO, we have had to endure serious pain getting setup with Volo. Again, i wouldn't wish that on anyone else.

Outside of Level3 and XO, virtually no operator has a large enough footprint or is stable enough to trust that they will build a large enough footprint. Further, many operators will provide their service over the internet leading to serious quality concerns. If an operator's customers aren't big enough to afford a circuit for their voice needs then they are too small. The VoIP economics don't allow for small wholesale deals.