I dunno. I kinda disagree with those who think marginal is just fine.
I can tell they do not compete against Qwest DSL or Charter cable.
512k, will get you no where and service that is up down in speeds will not get you subs when the real competition shows up to play in your sandbox.

Party is over.

Real world kicks in and fantasy land  turns into a nightmare.
We've heard it on these lists in the past with wisps building a low speed network and the cable ops turning on and taking all their subs.
Remember Paul Farber?

Sure there are exceptions in markets that are not mature, but like I said, it will be a different story when the competition shows up, which is pretty darn soon if you don't have any at this time.

Build your network to it's highest performance and breath a little bit of relief. Build it right the first time and get the most out of your investment.

George

Carl A Jeptha wrote:
Yes Marlon, real world is different from the theory (yes, Lonnie I know you run your own ISP). I quote "We endeavour to deliver 256kbps, but speed may be up to 4.5 mbps. No "Up Ito's", because you will never see it. Depending on who you ask the radios when they have perfect line of sight is actually capable of 11mbps. So I say again, we endeavour to deliver 256kbps, and if on the day of the install we find for what ever reason that we cannot deliver our speed we will remove the equipment and leave, no charge." Most customers' response is, "Okay so when will you be installing????". My response, "we have a two week backlog, we will see if we can fit you in." Customer, "Great, I'll see you in two weeks time"

You have a Good Day now,

Carl A Jeptha
http://www.airnet.ca
office 905 349-2084
Emergency only Pager 905 377-6900
skype cajeptha

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:
I'm gonna disagree with Lonnie here. Kinda. We agree on the -75 dB thing.

But on the number of customers I'm wayyyy on the other side of the fence. Probably on the other side of the pasture too.

Just in Odessa here we have something like 50 to 75 subs pulling from a single ap. It's an OLD lucent ap1000. Only an 11 meg radio. It feeds two other repeater sites (those are included in the subscriber count). You can run a speed test here at almost any time you want and my customers get 2 to 3 megs of actual speed out to the internet. 4x+ the actual speed of dsl in town for only $5 per month more.

I will agree that marginal links will slow the whole network down. But I try to look at things from a pragmatic standpoint. Not just sales or techie view point. The question for me is, are the customers happy? Are they wanting/needing more? Are the expectations properly set and met?

My fiber feed here is peaking at 3 megs today. 3.19 to be exact. But the AVERAGE is only 640k. This circuit feeds 24 pots lines and 150ish wireless subs. NON of whom are on bandwidth shaped links. It's wide open for all of them. Some of the businesses get 8ish megs via a trango system in town too.

All systems and all customer bases are different. Us "experts" in the industry are often very good at telling you how to run our networks. The hard part is that we're all correct :-P.

Here's MY rule of thumb for customers per ap. When people start telling me that things aren't as fast as they used to be, I'll put in another one. OR if *I* know I can do a much better job by splitting things off (gonna do that to one system today, only 10ish subs but it's never worked as well as it should so I'm gonna redesign things, again). My one complaining customer on that tower complains about everything though. When I go to his house to test the actual speed it's always good. Maybe I'm working too hard for one squeaky wheel. Too bad he's not only a tech support guy but also a relative! hehehehehehe

Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam