To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] [Fwd: Durbin introduces bill to encourage high speedinternet access in rural areas]

Replies below:

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

I'm not nearly as impressed with this as you are John.

I never described this with the word impressed. I am never impressed that easily! :-)

Money to study the issue AND a task force? To study an issue that the senator has already laid out? That the fcc's broadband task force AND spectrum policy force have studied to death? bull.....

I think part of this is to help the Connect SI initiative in Durbin's district of which I am a supporting member. It is a group dedicated to analyzing the availability of broadband, developing plans to build more broadband availability, build a common peering facility in the region and ways to use it to positively impact the economy in Southern Illinois. Sadly the WISPs walked out before anyone even had a chance to see what was on the table. This is a good deal for us if people just try. That is too much to ask many WISPs though it seems. I am the only WISP in the group. I am also the only small company who would donate time and money to the effort. If people want to see the government do positive things then they have to be part of the effort. Telling the government to buzz off does not work.

It's an election year scam.

Nice of you to sum up the hundreds of hours I have committed to state level broadband initiatives as an election year scam. If this goes the way I want then my service area will be color coded by signal availability down to the quarter-section level on the plat book and I will have access to every state and federal program for broadband available. I do not lobby for programs to be created but I do tell the politicians what I need to bring broadband to rural areas when they ask e and a good part of what Durbin is stating has to do with things me and others have asked him to do to help.

Naturally, the devil is always in the details. I'm REALLY against the study crap, it's totally redundant. But the grants and auction reform may be nice. Have to see what they really put together.

In case you do not remember t has been me for a long time saying that too much money is going to loans and not enough to grants. This is being addressed here unless he drops the ball.

I had such high hopes for USF reform, but that's not only not gotten better, it's gonna be worse for us. And it looks like the TV band issue is either dead of wrapped up in junk that'll make it worthless too.

What is your source of information on the TV bands? I have not received a single negative message in regard to the TV reform issues. If you want some USF funds then signup and get a SPIN number. Ask your local school to help you. They can set you up in about an hour. You can collect some USF now.
Scriv

It always seems to go back to the government supporting the people that live off of it first and those of us that feed it last.
Getting cynical in my old age.
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless