The 4800 or 5400 RPM 5-10[minute] seek times on the old drives in those does not help either! :)

I had several labs of those things when I was managing school districts. They are great machines. You can call thank apple for driving the cost of USB, and in some cases wireless, down to affordable levels.

ryan

David E. Smith wrote:
I just didn't realize that her old IMAC couldn't sustain more than 80KB/sec
downloads.    No kidding.  The hard drive thrashed visciously and that's all
it could do.

No, you see, the problem isn't that it's an iMac, the problem is that
it's still running MacOS. I've got an old Revision A (the very first
one, 1998 vintage) at home, and by wiping it and installing Linux, it
can chug along at almost twice that speed. :)

David Smith
MVN.net