From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Charles Wu
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 11:34 AM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: RE: [WISPA] vendor specs

Keep in mind...although, as techies, we love to get into a "my @[EMAIL
PROTECTED] is
bigger/better then yours" debate, the simple fact is that there's no "magic
bullet" solution that will make your WISP succeed.  Heck, the ones that I
see fail or stagnate are generally the ones who spend all their mind-share
"tweaking their system" and don't bother to go sign on customers.

Remember, with the obsolecense of whatever technology you choose to deploy
(heck, the value of your radio probably depreciates 30-50% the minute you
hang it on the tower) as long as your network is stable and capable of
adequately delivering your product, the value of your business is a DIRECT
MULTIPLE of your EBIDTA &/or recurring revenue.

Here's an analogy

In the distribution business, we have our circles/listservs just like WISPs
have listservs, and rather than debating wireless gear, we spend our time
comparing back-end software platforms.  Now, when valuing a distribution
company, assuming that my customers are happy, orders are fulfilled, and
inventory is properly tracked and accounted for, the amount of money that I
spend on my back-end software (if it's $5k for Quickbooks Enterprise or $50k
for Oracle or $250k for some custom developed solution) is COMPLETELY
IRRELEVANT as compared to my revenues, cost of sales, EBIDTA & cash flow.

>From an operational perspective, provided that you understand each
platforms
benefits/limitations, Canopy, Trango, Alvarion (and even DIY WiFi) are all
tools, and they all work fine to fill the task that they were built for --
the success of your business is due more to your knowledge of networking and
business operations (and ultimately sales and profits) then it is the
product that you choose

-Charles

P.S. -- Xtratyme failed even though they spents $$$$ on all three <ducking>

Operating Manager - CTI
I'm back...

WiNOG Wireless Roadshows
Coming to a City Near You