From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:00 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] vendor specs

To be fair, you shouldn't leave out OEM products from the discussion
(Mikrotik / StarOS)
These products are actually competitors to all the lines that were
listed
herein.

I think the best decission, may be more relevant to what capacity that a

WISP intends to need, and finance ability for the size it intends to
grow.
For example, I believe having the first-in pick of a cell site, will
guarantee better performance and reliabilty to the subscribers than the
type
of Radio that is selected.
Thats one of the reasons that we chose Trango, we were able to deploy a
huge
number of sites cost effectively and reliably with the product, with
limited
financing and capitol.

Where product justification may come in, is when a WISP scales larger.
There is a big benefit to be able to deliver 30 mbps to a sector. The
reason
is that it allow oversubscription to high ARPU subs when doing PtMP.  I
can
sell 5 mbps speeds and oversubscribe. Thats hard to do on a 10mbps
sector.
Of course their is the arguement that there is little benefit to having
fast sectors with a limited speed backhaul.  But many WISPs that would
justify Alvarion, may have fiber at their cell sites or afford Licensed
backhaul.

The question is, will your market support the higher vision? For
example, if
we would have chosen Alvarion 5 years ago, we would have bankrupted, as
their was not enough customer awareness to allow us to make enough sales

quickly enough to cost justify it.  It also depends on roof right fees.
When
you are paying a premium, it helps to go after higher ARPU and VOIP
services
to help jsutify the high lease fees.  Its harder to make it work for
just
data revenue.  If you have good lease deals, this is not an issue.   So
part
of it is the ratio of antenna lease fee to the capacity of teh radio
(capcity including amount of voice it can do).

The point I'm making is that the winner is not necessarilly based on the

spec sheet, its based on the business plan.

I'm seeing a clear picture of when and where Alvarion would be the
preferred
choice, and I see a clear picture of when and where Trango would be the
clear choice, but I'm having a hard time homing in on any specific case
where Canopy would be the Clear better choice.

I beleive Canopy, is now an adequate choice for just about any of the
markets, but where is it the best choice?  Maybe Canopy is the product
that
offers a good compromise to fit into each of the markets? Advantage
offers a
lit more speed than Trango in some areas, and a little better cost than
Alvarion, and although not the lowest or best, it offers affordable
products
on the low end. I'm sure many Canopy users won't agree with that said
statement. But considering price, and business plan, not just features,
where would Canopy fit, as the best product for a specfic need?

About the only thing that I've homed in on would be, a location where
Horizonatl noise is higher than verticle, and the provider has a large
number of Verticle systems planned (GPS sync), and is worried about
interfering with himself, and noise is high enough that C/I is a big
concern, and the provider may outsource a lot of technical duties, so
wants
to control high outsourced technical costs by choosing a more consistent

product that has less technical firmware issues?

For that reason, I may see where a large national company Canopy for
their
lower volume sites, that Alvarion was not cost justified for.

For the record, the specfic cases that I feel trango is jsutified as the

preferred case, is all cases where Alvarion has not been cost jsutified
:-)

I've really been happy with Trango in general, but the reason we are
looking
for other options is that, we are starting to saturate some 10 mbps
sectors,
doing a lots more VOIP, and need the flexibilty of external antennas,
and as
more CPEs are on a sector, its more and more important to ahve SNR
radios
for troubleshooting.  But I'd say that still, 75% of my markets are
better
positioned with Trango, and I'd not likely replace them all with
Alvarion.
I'm picking and choosing where I need it and where I don't.

I'd argue that the comparison has to be....

For a starter system, Canopy or Trango?
For a higher capacity system, Alvarion or StarOS/Mikrotik?

I don't really see the point in comparing Trango to Alvarion, they are
two
totally different capacity platforms.  What needs to be decided is which

markets would allow you to get the capacity from Alvarion. For example
if
the nise floor is to high for OFDM PtMP, Trango or Canopy may still be
better for the market.

In then when OFDM is jsutified, do you spend the big dollars on
Alvarion, or
do you buy home brew OEM?

The question comes up, do you pay $3000/$1000 for rigid platform
(alvarion),
or $300/$300 for a flexible OEM one (StarOS/Mikrotik)?

I'd argue that Alvarion's competitor is the OEM product line.
Alvarion offers:

Legal system
Excellent Support
Right out of the box
Durabilty
Easy to Manage
Smart firmware (but lean to WISP relevent features).
Impossible to misconfigure.
Best VOIP throughput.
Excellent channel to buy from

OEM offers:

Not technically legal
Many headaches (buying, availabilty, configuration and licensing quirks,

etc)
Less consistent service (WiFi protocols)
Not the best firmware or troubleshooting tools, but.....
Unbelievable Price!
Additional RF links from one unit, for just $50. (This is big, saving
entire
radio costs and labor costs, and preventing custom box connection
systems
that are expensive for relaying).
One of these OEM systems will allow a WISP to get to more subscribers
quicker than any other system on the market. (higher speeds, and
avoiding
NLOS by relaying).

If I were Alvarion, I'd be offering radios with Dual Ethernet ports,
and/or
Dual radios, so WISPs had more flexibilty.  I'd argue that its harder to

give up the benefits of OEM Flexibility than OEM price, for ambitious
operators.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband