To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 9:49 AM
Subject: wifi project

Hi Dan,

Just wanted to make a few comments on this story:
http://www.thenewstribune.com/business/columnists/voelpel/story/6123517p-5363474c.html

First, it's not even close to one of the nation's largest. Heck, I've got nearly 6000 square miles lit up in Grant, Lincoln and Douglas counties.

There are companies with 10s of thousands of square miles out there nowadays. Yes, with Wi-Fi, or other technologies.

Secondly, these projects have ALL failed so far. Portland is way ahead of Tacoma here, and the last I'd heard it was in financial trouble. They don't work well or make money.

These projects seem to be yet another way for big companies (Century Tel gets nearly 60% of it's income from USF funds, not actual customers) to screw the tax payer because of current trends.

I'd be happy to help you with a story about wireless broadband if you're interested in existing projects rather than fairy tails.

Yeah, I'm frustrated.  Does it show?  grin

If you want to really drive yourself crazy take a look a the Grant Co. PUD fiber to the home project (the last big thing). One of the commissioners told me, less than two months ago, that they are really still loosing $13m per year! All paid for by electric rate payers.

Then there's guys like me, out here mortgaging the house and working way too many hours to build real businesses that actually deliver services and make money.

Here's our coverage map:
www.accima.com

If you would like a little light reading about wireless:
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless

Thanks for taking the time to read this venting of mine :-).
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam