On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, KyWiFi LLC wrote:

Please let us know if you decide to play with 900Mhz using an omni instead of a sector as I would be interested in hearing the range that is possible with an omni compared to a sector. I have my eye on the PacWireless OD9-11 (http://tinyurl.com/vq7dj).

With few exceptions, and omni in 900 is going to be too noisy to be very useful. There are probably some regions that this is not true for, but I'd guess they will be few and far between. I have one customer that is using the SR-9 cards in a test scenario in east Texas (on the outskirts of a large city). He tried for a month to test with a vertical omni...NO luck at all. He went to a horizontal omni without much improvement, though he could at least connect beyond the 1000 foot range. With a horizontal sector, he is getting 2-3 miles with good speeds.

This band is almost impossible to work in without a spectrum analyzer. There is just too much noise around and it is not impeded by trees (at least not as much as the higher frequencies). At any rate, ymmv.

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879