I don't know what the beef is. FleetCall bought up in the vicinity of 100 trunking & SMR channels in each major metro almost 20 yrs ago. They claimed to the FCC that they could serve significantly more users than the typical 100 users/channel of the current early 90s analog technology. 100 channels at 100 users apiece serves only in the vicinity of 10,000 users. With the iDen technology they ultimately served almost half a million in the same geographic area with the same spectrum. So much for the "unneeded technology" assessment.

Now that they're called NexTel, sure they continue adding whatever remaining licenses they can get their hands on, but the 800 and 900 Trunking and bands are land-locked (no room for expansion), so there's no new technology targeted to this band that I know of. Now that they're merged with Sprint, it's no secret where their new technology is targeted (WiMAX).

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Scrivner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:29 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Sprint / Nextel to use 900mz for iDen

I am not familiar with the terms you describe below and I am a bit confused. Can you break this down with a little more detail and explanation? I would like to understand this as I think it is very important for us to know what they are trying to do here in 900 MHz.
Thank you,
John Scrivner

rwf wrote:

Nextel has been buying up 900 MHz trunked systems for years now.
Probably will do what they did to build their first ESMR (Nextel IDEN)-
Take perfectly good systems off the air so they can drive the users to an
unneeded tcchnology.