To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Sprint / Nextel to use 900mz for iDen

Good info Jack. In a past life I was a headend tech in the cable television industry. and I also performed signal egress and ingress troubleshooting using a Hewlett Packard 8591B analyzer. I spent a few thousand hours on this tool and learned much about spectrum analysis at that time. Here is some info for some of those out there who may be new to spectrum analysis:

There is something that can make these paging transmitters appear to be bleeding over into the ISM bands when in fact they may not be. The setting on the analyzer is called "resolution bandwidth". This setting takes all power within a given bandspace and averages it together as it sweeps across the screen. The wider this setting is the fewer bumps you see on the screen. The trace will smooth out as you increase this setting because it is averaging power within a wider space of spectrum. This has the added effect of making a "loud" carrier appear to cover a wider space than it actually does and can cause you to believe that a paging or other carrier is bleeding over into the ISM band. On the contrary, narrowing the resolution bandwidth will show more accurate representation of actual power in a given bandspace but is slower to scan on most analyzers and produces a very sporadic display. If you are looking for narrowband or adjacent channel interference into your band then a narrow resolution bandwidth will be required. If you are wanting to take a RSSI reading of your own carrier then a wider resolution bandwidth will be required.

Resolution bandwidth is something you should learn to use and understand if you want to get more from your work. It is an important part of spectrum analysis. If you want to see how good an analyzer is then look at how low the resolution bandwidth setting will allow. For our work a minimum resolution bandwidth of about 100kHz is probably all you will ever need. Also run it at its lowest resolution bandwidth and see how long it takes to scan across the screen. If you are comparing multiple analyzers make sure you always use the same span setting (difference between upper and lower frequency on display). A narrower span will display a narrow resolution bandwidth much faster. Better analyzers will have a wide range of resolution bandwidth settings and will show a sharp, clean display in any setting.

Learning to use a spectrum analyzer can seem daunting at first glance. Do not let this intimidate you. You can learn to use this and get meaningful information from it if you give it a try. You will not break the analyzer by experimenting with it. If the unit you are using has knobs and you had it set by someone previously then just take notes of where they are set and then experiment with the unit. The most important things to master are start frequency, stop frequency, span, center frequency, reference level, attenuation, resolution bandwidth. Anything else you learn is good to know but not as much as what I just outlined here.

If anyone here is working with an analyzer and does not know what any of those things mean then feel free to ask here onlist (or offlist if you would prefer to not tell others you do not know) :-)
Scriv

Jack Unger wrote:

Tom,

Yes, their gear (the paging stuff) not only costs more but their transmitters spurious emissions have to remain low or the paging company risks being fined by the FCC. Sure, a transmitter can malfunction once in a while and cause interference to the ISM band but this is not a common occurance. Our gear has receivers where the manufacturing cost is quite low. There may be $50 worth of parts in the receiver section of an AP. The vendors typically do not spend a lot of money on components that would raise the cost of their equipment and make it non-competitive such as adding expensive filters to reduce the overloading problems that only a minority of WISPs may ever experience. Similarly, the new cars that people buy don't come with the most expensive tires as standard equipment because most people would never notice a difference or be willing to pay more for the premium tires.

I started deploying 900 MHz bridges in 1993 and 900 MHz APs (yes, for WISP service) in 1995. I used Lucent "Wavelan" cards in those systems. Whenever I was located within about 1/3 of a mile from a cell site (with colocated 929 MHz and 930 MHz paging) I had to add an external bandpass filter between the antenna and the antenna connector on the Wavelan card. Until I did this, I could not get full throughput (which was about 1.3 Mbps in those days) through the card. The bandpass filter would clear up the problem every time. Those filters weren't even that strong - only about 6 dB of attenuation at 900 MHz and at 930 MHz (even less - maybe 5 dB at 929 MHz) but it was enough to protect the Wavelan card's receiver from being overloaded. These bandpass filters were made by a 3rd-party source and custom tuned by me in a calibration lab. My filter cost was $125 each and they were not weatherproof so I mounted them indoors. The inband attenuation was aboat 1 or 1.5 dB which was insignificant in light of the fact that the filters worked to eliminate the overloading and allow the AP to receive client signals up to 10 or 12 miles away.

Regarding Trango - I have not verified the accuracy of their spectrum analysis tool but what you're seeing can be explained by one observation and one guestimation. The -20 dBm to -30 dBm signal indications above 929 MHz are likely fairly accurate. Nearby paging transmitters could easily be that loud. The fact that you're seeing signals down to 924 MHz or so could be explained by the Trango receiver "front-end" (the first stage connected to the antenna) being overloaded by one or more nearby paging transmitters. When a receiver is overloaded, it generates "spurious" signals that are not really being transmitted on the frequency where they show up. The "spurs" are being generated inside the receiver itself as a consequence of the overloading. It's fairly easy to test to see if this is the case. Just insert a bandpass filter between the antenna and the antenna connector (assuming a connectorized AP). If the AP receiving distance and/or the throughput increases, you have just proved that overloading was a problem. You can also re-run the spectrum analysis tool and see if it no longer reports signals down to 924 MHz. It should now report that the non-WISP signals start around 929 MHz.

I hope this explanation helps.

jack

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Jack,

That all sounds good, and it brings up a good point, that we are just as probable to be the culprit, not just the other guy.
Besides, their gear costs more, right :-)
However, what specific gear do you have experience with, on this issue, to support your comment? I'm not sure that I am knowledgable enough on the topic, to know for sure which side is the flaw, how would we tell?

I use Trango 900. Trango's have a built-in specrum site survey tool, that also scans a bit lower and higher than the ISM edge. My comment was based on the fact that, when I do the site survey, I see signals in the neg 20-30 range, spanning from significantly above 930 down to mid portion of ISM channel 4 (924 or so). Have you verified the accuracy of the Trango tool, and how it reacts to this situation?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Unger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>