To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] WTB Orders (FCC-06-110)

Why on earth do they want to overlap UNII bands for this purpose? Do they want both UNII and this new system to fail? Why is this something they even considered? Why give them their own band if the intent is to also overlap another unlicensed band? What sort of crack are they smoking here?

What part did you play in setting up this new standard, Rich? I wonder why Kris Twomey missed this earlier? Was the upper 5.8 overlap added later? I think it would be a good idea for someone to find the language which discusses this overlap so we can discuss what we would want to do about commenting to the FCC.

Hey Ken or Dawn DiPietro, next time why don't you just tell us why you think WISPA needs to be involved? I told you before that I thought this was outside our existing bands and you never replied.
Scriv

Rich Comroe wrote:

Howdy,

I was an active member of the ASTM DSRC sandards formulating committee for roughly 2 yrs (2000-2001). This is all familiar stuff, and I appreciate seeing the URL to see how the effort has proceeded.

John wrote:

Actually I was told that this is above the existing UNII band frequencies. I was told this has nothing to do with existing frequencies we use for our networks.

Yes, and no. Most of the DSRC rules deal with the band above the existing UNII band, true enough. But DSRC is intended to be populated by DUAL-BAND units (spoken to briefly in this FCC order). In fact, one of the issues petitioned was to recommend action to SAVE the DSRC band from being destroyed by malicious wifi usage by dual-band units ... which the commission has apparently rejected for the moment according to this order.

Rick Smith raises the concern for usage in the neighboring DSRC band:

yep, just like paging's "Just above" the 900 mhz unlicensed bands but makes
926 and above useless.   See ... ?

Yeah, that is a valid concern. They're contemplating a lot of outdoor units (like one in every American car). FYI, when I left the activity ASTM was recommending DSRC use a 10MHz wide 802.11a variant with limited power, and road-side units of limited height. They're not trying to do multiple miles. When DSRC applications are broken into short-medium-&-long range, they're talking about 10-30 feet (short, like electronic toll collection and pay-at-the-pump), 300-600 feet (medium, like road signage), and 1000 feet (long, for emergency traffic light control).

So, just as sufficient wifi energy can impact an adjacent band, proximity to a busy roadway can potentially impact the high wifi channels. However, the intent of DSRC to promote unlicensed wifi outdoors in the 5.8 UNII band via dual-band usage may be more troubling to wisps than bleed-over from DSRC band usage.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Scrivner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>