Larry Yunker wrote:

900Mhz noise sources:

1) Paging Systems

is is likely new sites are being deployed?
It is likely that SOMEONE has already licensed the spectrum...
If there is a market for pager services, they will eventually deploy.
If there is no perceived market, they will likely sit on the license until forced to give it up.

2) Other 900Mhz-based Broadband providers

should be able to channel plan and work with them
You can work with them if:
(1) they don't drop in a Canopy Cluster
(2) they don't use an Alvarion or other FREQUENCY HOPPING type radio

3) Cordless Telephones

shouldn't effect me THAT much
Cordless Telephones are usually only a problem when houses are grouped close together. One of the biggest problems that I experienced with 900Mhz was when we would hook up a client INSIDE a neighborhood and later find out that his neighbor had a 900Mhz cordless phone. Every time that the neighbor would receive a call, my client would lose signal. AND for those lurking.... this particular link was a Waverider showing -70 RSSI with a -90+ noise floor. The damn cordless phone was the ONLY problem with the link.

4) SCADA (utility monitoring and management systems)

should be able to channel plan and work with them
Most SCADA systems are FREQUENCY HOPPING... you can't plan around those.

5) Meter Readers

shouldn't this only be in city limits?
I've only seen 900Mhz meter-readers within a city-limits. As long as you are broadcasting and receiving a few miles outside of the nearest city, you probably won't have issues.

6) Power or Pipeline Companies (often used for non-SCADA-based monitoring)

don't know about this one
Get a 900Mhz spectrum analyzer and drive your area or better yet connect it to an antenna up HIGH on the tower that you plan on using... see what kind of noise you see.

7) Other consumer devices (baby monitors, cordless headphones, cordless speakers)

shouldn't effect me THAT much
The only consumer device that ever knocked me out was the cordless phones... but I did have to tell a customer not to use his cordless headphones while on the internet... the 900mhz cordless headphones were causing packet-loss.

8) licensed usage of segments of 902-928Mhz

don't know what is in my area
Look it up on the FCC web site.

9) Old cell towers?

not here. We just got cell service. Too rural to have "old" technology anything
No OLD Analog cell service?